Coming from Goa International Airport:
Goa is connected by air, road and rail. The drive from the Goa International airport is 25.4 kms down South which passes the scenic landscape through the quaint and peaceful villages of Majorda and Colva to get to our slice of Goan Paradise, Benaulim.
The nearest Bus stops and railway station are both in our cultural and commercial capital Margao whichis also known as Madgao. Bus terminal is 8.7 kms and railway station is 7.1 kms by car.
Services of Taxi’s can be availed from the prepaid counter at the airport or railway station and tuk-tuk’s (auto-rickshaw) are available at the Margao railway station as well as at Margao bus terminal.
There are also local buses available for commuting from the resort to Margao and vice versa. The bus stop for the local buses is 2.6 kms away from the resort. There is no other transport to come to the resort from the local bus stop.
Our top picks of restaurants in the region
Located 550 meters from our resort, Avinash Martins, the Chef and owner of Cavatina dishes out some of the handpicked array of dishes gathered from around the world. Some of his specialties include Alaskan scallops, Australian lamb rack and even salmon!!!
Open from Tuesday to Sunday from 12.30 pm to 15.00, 19.00 to 23.00
Address: Taj Hotel Road, Near Joecons Beach Resort, South Goa, Benaulim, Goa 403712
+91 (0) 832 277 0607
The Basilica of Bom Jesus which is located 26.2 kms from the resort, enshrines the sacred remains of Goa’s patron saint Francis Xavier who died on a sea voyage to China in 1552. Legend says that when the body of Xavier was transferred to Goa the following year, the body was found as fresh as the day it was buried. The embalmed body of the saint lies in an airtight glass coffin which is placed in a silver casket. The Construction of the church began in 1594 and completed in May 1605. This church is the first Minor Basilica in India and is regarded as one of the best examples of baroque architecture.
If your weakness is Goan cuisine, head to pepper’s where you’ll find a tempting selection of local delicacies. Experience of dining at Peppers is one that will take you back to the good old days of Grandma’s cooking with a hint of modernity. Add to eat the bustling yet claimed backdrop and viola! An absolutely amazing dining experience is absolutely ready.
Open daily from 11.00 to 15.00 and 18.30 till mid-night
Address: 15/604, Near Child Care School, Gold road, Pajifond, Margao-Goa, 403601,
+91 (0) 832 271 1125 | +91 (0) 989 095 9377 | www.peppersgoa.com
Located in Chandor Village 17.4 kms, Braganza House was built in the 17th century. There is a Great Salon, a big ballroom with the floor made of Italian marble, antique chandeliers from Europe adorning the ceiling, and heavily carved , ornate rosewood furniture.
A lovely open-air restaurant, 2.3 kms from our resort, the place is beautifully designed out of wood, and sits on a really beautiful spot with the glistening water to add on to the charm boats that you can take out on to the lake, or even try your hand at catching your own fish to eat.
Open Tuesday to Sunday 11.30 to 15.00 and 19.00 to mid-night
Address: H 1020/ A, Ascona, Benaulim, Goa – 403716,
+91 (0) 98221 30430 | +91 (0) 96577 12665
Shri Mangesh temple is located 33.1 kms from the resort, in Mangeshi Village in Ponda Goa. With its gilded white tower, domes and pillars, Shri. Mangeshi is one of the most striking temples in Goa against its backdrop of green hills. It is also among the larger temples in the state.
Martin’s Corner situated 9.3 kms from the resort towards North is a legendary Goan treasure. Perfect for those lazy afternoons, kickback and enjoy some traditional Goan cuisine and seafood, and a cocktail from their impressive bar menu.
Open daily from 11.oo to 15.30 and 16.30 to 23.30
Address : Binvado Betalbatim Salsed Goa, Betalbatim, Goa – 403713
+91 (0) 832 288 0413 | +91 (0) 982 21 3 1676 | www.martinscornergoa.com
Dudhsagar Falls is a four-tiered waterfall located on the Mandovi River in the Indian state of Goa. It is 44.1 kms from the resort. The drive from the resort to Dudsagar is 44.1 kms to the East which passes the scenic landscape through the quaint and peaceful.
Baga is the pinnacle – or nadir – of Goan beach life, depending on your perspective! Baga beach runs seamlessly into the state’s other legendary stretch of sand, Calangute, but is arguably better maintained and equipped than its neighbour. It is towards the north of Goa and 52.3 kms from the resort.
Termed as the Queen of Beaches, Calangute is the largest beach in North Goa and the first choice for every tourist to visit. The peak tourist season is during Christmas and New Year, and during the summer in May. The beach offers water sport activities like parasailing and water skiing, among others. It is towards the north of Goa and 49.9 kms from the resort.
Colva Beach which is 6.7 kms from the resort, achieves a perfect balance – it provides a great range of commercial facilities, while preserving the natural beauty that drew tourists to Goa in the first place.
Safa Shahouri mosque in Ponda was built in 1560 by Ibrahim Adil Shan and is one of only two 16thcentury mosques to have survived the destruction that accompanied the years of the inquisition. Situated 25.4 kms to the North East of the resort .
Goa has been a key location in the famous spice routes for centuries, ever since the Portuguese first took control of the trade. These spice plantations (Savoi – 39 kms, Sahakari – 27 kms, Tropical Spice – 32 kms from the resort respectively) grows spices like cloves and nutmeg and also fruits including pineapple, jackfruit, etc.
Built in the 17th century by Maharaja Khem Sawant Bhonsle, Terekhol fort is situated North of Goa and 82.8 kms from the resort. Strategically positioned at Goa’s northernmost reaches, the fort once guarded the mouth of the Tiracol River and enjoys uninterrupted views across the Arabian Sea.
The open-air museum recreates Goan rural life as it In this model village one can also see different miniature houses that showcase traditional occupation and social classes such as fishermen, Goan artisans, a music school known as Escola da Musica, farmers, liquors shops, the village market, and a feni distillery. Situated 16 kms from the resort.
Panaji also known as Panjim, (Portuguese: Pangim) is the capital of the Indian state of Goa and the headquarters of North Goa district and situated 38.8 kms from the resort. It lies on the banks of the Mandovi River.
Panjim has terraced hills, concrete buildings with balconies and red-tiled roofs, churches, and a riverside promenade. There are avenues lined with gulmohar, acacia and other trees. The Baroque Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception Church is located overlooking the main square known as Praça da Igreja.
This city of stepped streets and a seven kilometre long promenade was built on a planned grid system after the Portuguese relocated the capital form Velha Goa in the 17th century.
Margao situated 6.9 kms, is the commercial and cultural capital of the Indian state of Goa. It is the administrative headquarters of Salcete sub-district and South Goa district. Its Portuguese colonial past is evident in buildings like the 1675 baroque Holy Spirit Church, with its ornate interior and pipe organ. Sat Burzam Ghor is a grand 1700s mansion with 3 of its original 7 gables remaining. Margao Municipal Garden includes the colonial Municipal Building and library. Southwest, in Benaulim, the Goa Chitra Museum exhibits ancient tools.
Old Goa, also called Velha Goa, is 43 kms from the resort and is beside the Mandovi River in the western Indian state of Goa. The former capital of Portuguese India, it’s known for colonial-era monuments like the Basilica of Bom Jesus, with the remains of St. Francis Xavier, and the domed Church of St. Cajetan, inspired by St. Peter’s in Rome. Nearby, the vast Se Cathedral, built in the 16th–17th centuries, has ornate chapels and a bell tower.
Mormugao is Goa’s main port and is located at 15.25°N 73.98°E 32 kms from the resort. It has an average elevation of 2 metres (7 feet). When the Portuguese colonised part of Goa in the sixteenth century, they based their operations in the central district of Tiswadi, notably in the international emporium ‘City of Goa’, now Old Goa. As threats to their maritime supremacy increased, they built forts on various hillocks, especially along the coast. In 1624, they began to build their fortified town on the headland overlooking Mormugao harbour.
In 1683, the Portuguese in Goa were in grave danger from the Marathas. Almost certain defeat was averted when Sambhaji suddenly lifted siege and rushed to defend his own kingdom from the Mughal Emperor Aurangzeb. The narrow escape, no less than the decline of the City of Goa, convinced the Portuguese viceroy, Dom Francisco de Távora, that he should shift the capital of the Portuguese holdings in India to Mormugao’s formidable fortress.
In 1685, the new city’s principal edifices were under construction, with the Jesuit priest Father Teotónio Rebelo in charge. The Jesuit architects made a consistent effort to avoid the ornate style of the time.
The temple situated 61.5 kms from the resort, is dedicated to Lord Shiva and is reminiscent of the temples at Aihole in neighbouring Karnataka. There is a linga (symbol of Lord Shiva) mounted on a pedestal inside the inner sanctum, and local legend has it that a huge king cobra is in permanent residence in the dimly lit interior.
The temple consists of garbhagriha, antarala and a pillared Nandi mandapa built of basalt. The four pillars, embellished with intricate carvings of elephants and chains support a stone ceiling decorated with finely carved Ashtoken lotus flowers.
Mahalasa is identified with Mohini, the female avatar of the God Vishnu. Mahalasa has four hands, carrying a Trishula, a sword, a severed head, and a drinking bowl. She stands on a prostrate man or demon, as a tiger or lion licks blood dripping from the severed head. She also wears the yajnopavita (sacred thread), which is generally dedicated on male deities. While in this shrine, Mahalasa is associated with Mohini and Vishnu, in the Khandoba cult, she is regarded as a form of Goddess Parvati and wife of Khandoba, a form of Shiva (Parvati’s husband).
Generally, the male or main deity accompanies the right hand position (considered superior to the left). However, in joint processions or functions, Shantadurga is given the right hand seat, while Mahalasa sits on her left, as per the lore that Mahalasa gave the former the honour. Sunday holds a special significance for the temple and the presiding goddess.
The Cabo De Rama Fort is situated in South Goa. This is one of the prime attractions in South Goa and also an ideal Goa sightseeing options.
Cabo de Rama Fort situated 28 kms from the resort, is also known as The Cape of Rama. The fort derives its name from Rama, the hero of the epic Ramayana stayed here with his wife during their 14 years of exile. The Fort was first occupied by Hindu rulers who spread their empire all over India. The cape is crowned by a fort which was originally a Hindu structure and rebuilt by the Portuguese in 1763 after acquiring it from the Maratha King of Sonda. The Fort has elaborated defences complete with a moat, gatehouse and several bastions. Many of the bastions still have large cannons lying strewn above them. The fort has a well and two springs from which cold and hot water used to emerge from two different nozzles. The Fort also houses a large water tank with stone steps descending into it. Also within the Fort are ruins of buildings that may have been used are quarters for the troops stationed at the fort.
Reis Magos Fort is located on the northern bank of the River Mandovi across to the city of Panaji in North Goa. It is situated 43.3 kms from the resort. This Fort is one of the prime Goa Tourist Places and one of the major heritage sites in Goa state.
This Fort was built by the Portuguese Viceroy Alfonso de Noronha in 1551 and was rebuilt in 1707. It was played an important role in the defence of Goa in 1739 against the Marathas. Originally it was an armed outpost built by the Adil Shah in the late 1400 and got destroyed in 1500.
Palolem Beach is located at 15°00′36″N 74°01′24″E, within 2.5 kilometres of the market town of Chaudi in South Goa, and 40 kms from the resort.
Other neighbouring beaches in South Goa include Agonda Beach, Patnem Beach and Polem beach.
Palolem Beach is largely unspoiled and is inhabited by both local fishermen and by foreign tourists who live in shacks along the shore or in the main village itself. It is about one mile (approximately 1.61 km) long and is crescent-shaped; one can view the entire beach from either end. Both ends of the beach consist of rocks jutting out into the sea. The depth of the sea increases gradually, being shallowest at the northern end of the beach, making it safe for average swimmers, and the currents are not fast.
Located 48.5 kms from the resort, it is at the far southern end of North Goa, just a short drive from the capital Panjim, Sinquerim Beach is one of the quieter beaches in Goa’s north. This beach has managed to retain its quiet and peaceful vibes, despite being the first resort in Goa developed for tourism. Backed by verdant green palms and boasting the presence of the 16th-century Fort Aguada, this uninterrupted 9km beach is easily accessed from the neighbouring Taj Fort Aguada and Taj Holiday Village resorts.
Take a tour of the coastline around Sinquerim and discover hidden coves that were used by smugglers, see the massive profile of the Aguada Fort as would appear to potential sea-borne invaders and spot the occasional dolphin.
Holy Spirit Church was originally built by the Jesuit missionaries in 1564 but was destroyed in 1571. It was later rebuilt in 1645 and the sprawling structure was completed in 1675. Its architecture is a fine example of the Indian baroque style. The outer facade consists of a pristine white facade and towers on either side with a central dome structure.
The impressive reredos (ornamental screen) is dedicated to the Virgin Mary, rising from ground level to the high ceiling, made more distinguished by the gilded and carved archway that stands in front of it. The window arches are in the shape of sea shells while a moulded peacock appears on the north transept wall. There are statues of St Anthony and of the Blessed Joseph Vaz, kept in glass cabinets in the north aisle near the north transept. In the square is a monumental cross. The church hosts 2900 catholic families.
St. John the Baptist Church which is situated at Monte Benaulim and 5.4 kms from the resort, was originally built nearer the shore and has been shifted to this present location in the year 1956. Every area on the main reredos and side altars are surrounded with decorations, main Altar has plain panelling in the vault of the chancel impressing, gallery in cornice design, pulpit the art of Rococo, moving from up to low pendent triumphant blowing the canopy, with the Lamb of the Apocalypse on the Book of the seven seals at its summit and the wooden altar triptych is also an attraction.
Father Joseph Vas, who was born, here in this village of Benaulim in the year 1651 was baptized in the Chapel under the choir.
24.8 kms from the resort, Vasco da Gama is a city on the Mormugao peninsula in Goa, western India. The coast is dotted with beaches like Baina Beach, and has a natural harbor. On the headland, overlooking Varca Beach, 17th-century Mormugao Fort has 2 fountains. Dating from the 16th century, St. Andrew’s Church has gilded altars. The hilltop Japanese Garden has ocean views, and contains the ruins of the Fortaleza Santa Catarina fortress.
The Sal River is a small river in Salcete which is 2.7 kms away from the resort, in India. The river opens near Margao and passes through the villages of Benaulim, Navelim, Varca, Orlim, Carmona, Dramapur, Chinchinim, Assolna, Cavelossim, Mobor and drains itself into the Arabian Sea at Betul. This river is used for backwater cruises.
The Salaulim Dam located on the Salaulim River, a tributary of the Zuari River in Goa, India, is an integral component of the Salaulim Irrigation Project which envisages benefits of irrigation and drinking water supply. The dam is a composite earth-cum-masonry dam of 42.7 metres (140 ft) height with a water spread area of 24 km2. Situated 34.1 kms from the resort.
It was initially planned to provide irrigation to an ultimate potential of 14,326 hectares (35,400 acres) and water supply of 160 million litres per day (MLD) to South Goa; the water supply component for domestic and industrial use is now increased to 380 MLD.
Shri Mahalaxmi Temple is situated in North Goa. It is one of the most visited places in Goa and an important pilgrimage site for Hindus.
Shri Mahalaxmi Temple is situated in the village of Bandora about 4 km from Ponda and 27 kms from the resort. This Temple is dedicated to Lord Vishnu’s consort Mahalaxmi. The temple is considered as the abode of the original Goddess of the Shakti cult and its unique feature is that the Devi wears linga on her head.
The fort was constructed in 1612 to guard against the Dutch and the Marathas. It was a reference point for the vessels coming from Europe at that time. This old Portuguese fort stands on the beach south of Candolim, at the shore of the Mandovi River. It was initially tasked with defence of shipping and the nearby Bardez sub district.
Church of St. Augustine is a ruined church complex located in Old Goa and 36.7 kms from the resort. The church was completed in 1602 and is part of the World Heritage Site, Churches and convents of Goa. The church was built on top of the Monte Santo (Holy Hill), between 1597 and 1602 by Augustinian friars who landed in Goa in 1587. The church was considered as one of the three great Augustinian churches in the Iberian world along with El Escorial and the Monastery of São Vicente de Fora.