Coming from Goa
International Airport :
Goa is connected by air, road and rail. The drive from the Goa International airport is 42 kms which passes
the scenic landscape through the quaint and peaceful villages of Saligao.
The nearest railway station is at Thivim which is 22 kms from the resort. The other railway station is Madgao
railway station which is 90 kms from the resort. Bus terminal is at Panaji which is 18 kms from the resort.
Services of Taxi’s can be availed from the prepaid counter at the airport or railway station or at the bus terminal
Taxi Services t the Airport :
Prepaid Airport Taxi Counter;
c/o. Goa International
Phone Number :
+91 (0) 97647 51235
Taxi service at the Margao
Prepaid Taxi Counter; c/o.
Goa International Airport,
Phone Number :
+91 (0) 95450 08100
Taxi service at the Resort:
KARMA ROYAL MONTERIO
Phone Number :
+91 832 6716200
Where to buy groceries
LAS VEGAS SUPERMARKET
No: 26/6, Viegas Vaddo,
Arpora, Bardez, Goa, 403509
Open :⋅7.30 Am to 10:30PM
Phone : +91 (0) 95455 36367
Our top picks of restaurants in the region
The Basilica of Bom Jesus which is located 25 kms from the resort enshrines the sacred remains
of Goa’s patron saint Francis Xavier who died on a sea voyage to China in 1552. Legend says that
when the body of Xavier was transferred to Goa the following year, the body was found as fresh
as the day it was buried. The embalmed body of the saint lies in an airtight glass coffin which is
placed in a silver casket. The Construction of the church began in 1594 and completed in May
1605. This church is the first Minor Basilica in India and is regarded as one of the best examples
of baroque architecture.
Brittos bar & restaurant is located on the famous Baga beach in Calangute, Goa. It is a restaurant
that has a very beautiful ambience and is a great place to spend the evenings in Goa.
The Brittos restaurant specialises in Goan, Chinese, Tandoor & Continental cuisine and is open for
breakfast, lunch and dinner. One can get some mouth-watering and relishing food here and the
sea-food platter is just mesmerizing.
Open daily from 9:00AM to 12:00AM
House No.7, 171, Calangute – Baga Rd, Saunta Vaddo, Baga, Goa
+91 8322277331 | 073876 27948
Making way for a hearty meal is Jamies Restaurant in Goa. Established in the year 2009, this
place is synonymous with delicious food that can satiate all food cravings. It is home to some of
the most appreciated cuisines which include Continental, Italian.
Open daily from 12:00PM to 11:00PM
Survey No 259/2A, Near Baga Bridge, Calangute, Goa – 403516, Arpora
+91 9764364377 | +91 9764362379 | www.thefishermanswharf.in
The Mangesh Linga is said to have been consecrated on the mountain of Mangireesh (Mongir) on
the banks of river Bhagirathi by Lord Brahma himself, from where the Saraswat Brahmins brought
it to Trihotrapuri in Bihar. They carried the linga on to Gomantaka and settled at Mathagrama,
the present-day Madgoa, establishing their most sacred and ancient temple of Mangesh on the
banks of the river Gomati or Zuari as it is called today. Lord Mangesh is worshipped here in the
shape of a Shiva linga.
When, in the year 1560, the Portuguese started Christian conversions in Salcette taluka, the
Saraswats of Vatsa Gotra felt insecure and shifted the Mangesh Linga from the original site at the
Kushasthali to Priol in Atrunja Taluka, which at that time was ruled by the Hindu kings of Sonde.
After remaining in the house of a temple priest for some time, the Sri Mangesh deity was finally
installed in its present site at Priol.
Perched on a hilltop, overlooking the magnificent Arabian Sea and picturesque small Vagator beach
lies Thalassa. Not just a Greek taverna in Goa, but a place where the warmth and sheer happiness
of Greek hospitality amalgamates instinctively with the laid back, free and tranquil atmosphere
and vibe of Goa.With multi-generational family recipes the flavours remain reassuringly authentic
Open daily from 9:00AM to 11:30PM
Small Vagator, Ozran, Near Nine Bar, Vagator, Goa 403509
+91 98500 33537 | www.thalassaindia.com
Dudhsagar Falls is a four-tiered waterfall located on the Mandovi River in the Indian state of Goa.
It is 86 kms from the resort. The drive from the resort to Dudhsagar is 86 kms to the East which
passes the scenic landscape through the quaint and peaceful.
The falls is located in the Bhagwan Mahaveer Sanctuary and Mollem National Park among the
Western Ghats. The waterfall forms the border between Karnataka and Goa states. The area is
surrounded by deciduous forests with a rich biodiversity. The falls are not particularly spectacular
during the dry season but during the monsoon season however, the falls are fed by rains and form
a huge force of water.
Baba au Rhum is a great little cafe/bakery/restaurant on a back road in Anjuna, northern Goa.
It’s run by Dayini Feraud, who grew up in the Auroville community in Tamil Nadu, and if you know
what a free-spirited culture that place has, you’ll understand the vibe. Sitting among paddy fields,
under a canopy of billowing cotton fabric and mango trees, try a hot almond croissant. Go for a
table on an elevated platform, lie back on the cushions and peer at the sky through the leaves.
Open daily from 9:30AM to 10:30PM
House No. 1054, Sim Vaddo, Anjuna, Goa 403509
+91 98228 66366
Baga is the pinnacle – or nadir – of Goan beach life, depending on your perspective! Baga beach
runs seamlessly into the state’s other legendary stretch of sand, Calangute, but is arguably better
maintained and equipped than its neighbour. It is 10 minutes walking distance from the resort.
Termed as the Queen of Beaches, Calangute is the largest beach in North Goa and the first choice
for every tourist to visit. The peak tourist season is during Christmas and New Year, and during
the summer in May. The beach offers water sport activities like parasailing and water skiing,
among others. It is 3 kms from the resort.
Much photographed thanks to its dramatic prospect of headlands and clean curves of perfectly
flat sand and the dramatic Chapora fort, Vagator, just north of Anjuna, is a Goan icon that’s well
worth taking the time to visit. The beach itself is average; it’s the spectacular backdrop that makes
Vagator stand out. It is 5 kms from the resort.
Situated right in the heart of Goa’s capital, Panaji, no one would describe Miramar as the state’s
prettiest stretch of sand. But it does have its own charm and is perfect for families, with lots of
excellent street food offerings. Sunsets are spectacular and the beach really comes to its own as
the sun goes down and locals and visitors throng here, bringing the place to life. It is 20 kms from
Folded up by azure water of Arabian Sea and with hills in the background, Anjuna Beach in Goa
is a perfect paradise for beach lovers. Situated just 8 km away in the west of Mapusa town,
this beach is blessed with a bizarre array of red laterite rocks. It is beautifully embellished with
picturesque sceneries and so the place is reckoned among the hottest tourist destination of India.
Further, its credible palms and rocky crescent give great pleasure to be at Anjuna Beach. It’s
distinguished due to the formation of unusual rock placed on a small inlet of white sand and black
rock protruding into the sea. It is 4 kms from the resort.
Comparatively a lesser known beach among tourists, Ashwem Beach is ideal for tourists wishing
to spend some alone time at a beautiful location. Ashwem has a lovely landscape known for
its stones surrounding the beach carved by the shellfish. The view that the shoreline gives is a
standout amongst the most wonderful sights at any point seen. Ashwem Beach is best known for
the Olive Ridley Turtles and government has devoted to a Turtle Beach here for conserving this
It rises high above the Chapora River. Before the Portuguese arrived in Goa in 1510, this location was
the site of another fort. The fort changed hands several times after Portuguese acquired Bardez.
Trying to end the Portuguese rule in Goa, Prince Akbar joined his father’s enemies, the Marathas
in 1683 and made this place his base camp. It became the northern outpost of the Old Conquests.
After the Portuguese recovered from an encounter with the Marathas, they strengthened
their northern defences and provided shelter to the people there. It is 6 kms from the resort.
The Arvalem Waterfall also known as Harvalem falls is a very scenic and beautiful picnic spot.
This beautiful waterfall forms a huge lake at the bottom, which is much popular amongst the
swimmers. The colour of the waterfall becomes muddy brown in monsoon rains and the water
flow is quite less in summer. It is 36 kms from the resort.
Also called the Lovers Paradise, the Dona Paula Beach is particularly famous for the romantic
legend associated with it. As per the legend, Viceroy’s daughter Dona Paula de Menezes jumped
off the cliff after facing opposition from her family due to her love affair with fisherman’s
son. This place pulls in its sightseers who come to stand amazed at its innate magnificence,
immaculate shoreline and the sentimental legend associated with it. The beach is a perfect
blend of romance, buzzing nightlife and adventure and listed amongst the best beaches in Goa.
It is 25 kms from the resort.
In Goa there are some major spice plantations, where visitors can see how spice plants look in
their natural environment, and how they are grown and processed. For tourists they organize
special informative and entertaining tours in such places as Savoi Spice Plantation, Sahakari
Spice Farms, Tropical Spice Plantation, that are engaged in organic farming. Almost all Goa spice
plantations are located in Ponda at a distance of 30-40 km from the capital Panaji. The regular
tour lasts about an hour.
Having started off as a “Hippie exchange” of commodities, it is now a full-fledged market. Held
from 9.00 AM to 6.00 PM every Wednesday, Anjuna Market is one of the most famous and
sought after flea markets in Goa. Apart from the various trinkets and knick-knacks on sale, it also
has live performances by bands that play from a variety of genres, ranging from rock to jazz.
Panaji also known as Panjim, (Portuguese: Panjim) is the capital of the Indian state of Goa and the headquarters
of North Goa district and situated 38.8 kms from the resort. It lies on the banks of the Mandovi River.
Panjim has terraced hills, concrete buildings with balconies and red-tiled roofs, churches, and a riverside
promenade. There are avenues lined with gulmohar, acacia and other trees. The Baroque Our Lady of the
Immaculate Conception Church is located overlooking the main square known as Praça da Igreja.
This city of stepped streets and a seven kilometre long promenade was built on a planned grid system after
the Portuguese relocated the capital form Velha Goa in the 17th century.
Is a town in the Chamba district in the state of Himachal Pradesh, in northern India. According to the 2001
Indian census the town is situated on the banks of the Ravi River (a major tributary of the Trans-Himalayan
Indus River), at its confluence with the Sal River. Chambial were the Rulers of Chamba State Chambials
use suffix Varmans. Though historical records date the history of the Chamba region to the Kolian tribes
in the 2nd century BC, the area was formally ruled by the Maru dynasty, starting with the Raju Maru from
around 500 AD, ruling from the ancient capital of Bharmour, which is located 65 kilometres (40 mi) from
the town of Chamba.
Mormugao is Goa’s main port and is located at 15.25°N 73.98°E 32 kms from the resort. It has an
average elevation of 2 metres (7 feet). When the Portuguese colonised part of Goa in the sixteenth
century, they based their operations in the central district of Tiswadi, notably in the international
emporium ‘City of Goa’, now Old Goa. As threats to their maritime supremacy increased, they built
forts on various hillocks, especially along the coast. In 1624, they began to build their fortified town
on the headland overlooking Mormugao harbour.
In 1683, the Portuguese in Goa were in grave danger from the Marathas. Almost certain defeat
was averted when Sambhaji suddenly lifted siege and rushed to defend his own kingdom from
the Mughal Emperor Aurangzeb. The narrow escape, no less than the decline of the City of Goa,
convinced the Portuguese viceroy, Dom Francisco de Távora, that he should shift the capital of the
Portuguese holdings in India to Mormugao’s formidable fortress.
In 1685, the new city’s principal edifices were under construction, with the Jesuit priest Father
Teotónio Rebelo in charge. The Jesuit architects made a consistent effort to avoid the ornate style of
the time. The austere viceregal palace still stands, having been used, after its short stint as a palace,
in various capacities, including as the hotel which housed the British agents who in 1943 destroyed
German ships anchored in Mormugao’s neutral waters. Viceroys after Távora found Mormugao too
secluded for their liking. The administrative headquarters were moved to the new city of Panjim,
which is till today Goa’s chief city.
Ever since it was accorded the status of a Major Port in 1963, the Mormugao port has contributed
immensely to growth of maritime trade in India. It is the leading iron ore exporting port of India with
an annual throughput of around 27.33 million tonnes of iron ore traffic.
The temple situated 72 kms from the resort, is dedicated to Lord Shiva and is reminiscent of the
temples at Aihole in neighbouring Karnataka. There is a linga (symbol of Lord Shiva) mounted on
a pedestal inside the inner sanctum, and local legend has it that a huge king cobra is in permanent
residence in the dimly lit interior.
The temple consists of garbhagriha, antarala and a pillared Nandi mandapa built of basalt. The
four pillars, embellished with intricate carvings of elephants and chains support a stone ceiling
decorated with finely carved Ashtoken lotus flowers.
The intricate carvings created by skilled craftsmen adorn the interior and the sides of the building.
Bas-relief figures of Lord Shiva, Lord Vishnu and Lord Brahma, with their respective consorts appear
on panels at the sides of the temple. Unusually, the mandap (pillared hall) is covered with a roof of
plain grey sloping slabs. The temple faces east so that the first rays of the rising sun shine on the
deity. There is a small mandap and the inner sanctum is surmounted by a three-tiered tower whose
top is incomplete or has been dismantled sometime in the distant past.
There is a headless Nandi (bull, Shiva’s vehicle) in the centre of the mandap, surrounded by four
matching columns. The symbol of the Kadamba kingdom, an elephant trampling a horse is carved
on the base of one of the columns. The river Surla flows nearby and is reachable for ritual bathing
by a flight of stone steps.
Palolem Beach is located at 15°00’36’’N 74°01’24’’E, within 2.5 kilometres of the market town of
Chaudi in South Goa, and 84 kms from the resort.
Palolem Beach is largely unspoiled and is inhabited by both local fishermen and by foreign tourists
who live in shacks along the shore or in the main village itself. It is about one mile (approximately
1.61 km) long and is crescent-shaped; one can view the entire beach from either end. Both ends of
the beach consist of rocks jutting out into the sea. The depth of the sea increases gradually, being
shallowest at the northern end of the beach, making it safe for average swimmers, and the currents
are not fast.
The nearest airport is Dabolim Airport which is about 67 km away. The nearest railway station
is Canacona railway station which can be reached from Madgoan junction railway station in just
30 mins. There are bus services at a regular interval of 30 mins from the beach to the Kadamba
Transport Corporation (KTC) Bus Depot in Margao. The nearest KTC depot is at Canacona.
Located 5.5 kms from the resort, it is at the far southern end of North Goa, just a short drive from
the capital Panjim, Sinquerim Beach is one of the quieter beaches in Goa’s north. This beach has
managed to retain its quiet and peaceful vibes, despite being the first resort in Goa developed
for tourism. Backed by verdant green palms and boasting the presence of the 16th-century Fort
Aguada, this uninterrupted 9km beach is easily accessed from the neighbouring Taj Fort Aguada
and Taj Holiday Village hotels.
The Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception Church (Nossa Senhora da Immaculada Conceição)
is located in Panjim, Goa, India. The Church conducts mass every day in English, Konkani, and
The colonial Portuguese Baroque style church was first built in 1541 as a chapel on a hill side
overlooking the city of Panjim. It was eventually replaced by a larger church in the 1600s as part of
Portuguese Goa’s religious expansion. This church houses the ancient bell that was removed
from the Augustinian ruins of the Church of Our Lady of Grace (Nossa Senhora da Graça) in the
once famed city of Old Goa. This bell is considered to be the second largest of its kind in Goa,
surpassed only by the Golden Bell which resides in the Sé Cathedral in Old Goa.
The church is located in Panjim and sits atop a hill facing the square below. The city’s municipal
garden (Garcia da orta) lies to its southeast and can be seen from atop the hill. The site was once
the location of a colonial port landing where ships sailing from Lisbon made first call, and where
sailors disembarked before they proceeding further inland to Ela (now Old Goa) – the capital of Goa
until the 19th century. A laterite stone walkway with ziz-zag stairs ascend the church while lines
of thin and tall palm trees form part of the scene.
The word Sé is Portuguese for See. The Se Cathedral was built to commemorate the victory of the
Portuguese under Afonso de Albuquerque over a Muslim army, leading to the capture of the city
of Goa in 1510. Since the day of the victory happened to be on the feast of Saint Catherine, the
cathedral was dedicated to her.
It was commissioned by Governor George Cabral to be enlarged in 1552 on the remains of an earlier
structure. Construction of the church began in 1562 in the reign of King Dom Sebastião. The
cathedral was completed in 1619 and was consecrated in 1640. It had two towers, but one collapsed
in 1776 and was never rebuilt.
In 1953, the Cathedral was presented with “The Golden Rose” by Venerable Pope Pius XII. The
Golden Rose is a gold ornament, which the Popes of the Catholic Church have traditionally blessed
and conferred as a token of reverence or affection. It is placed on the tomb of St. Francis Xavier.
Legend has it that Brahma the creator of the Hindu holy trinity was to have just one temple at
Pushkar, in Rajasthan. However, little known to many, there is another Brahma temple, this one
tucked away in a remote village of Nagargao in Valpoi, Goa.
“The Brahma statue in this temple stands tall and elegant. The statue of Lord Brahma blesses all
those who come to see him. The beautifully chiseled image of Brahma is dated to the Kadamba
period and belongs to the 12th century. The importance of this temple and Brahma idol lies in the
fact that it is the original piece of sculpture chiseled out of a black stone during the Kadamba period.
Inside the temple the idol of Lord Brahma stands at the center and wears a beard. Brahma is shown
in Trimurti form that is the trinity of Brahma – Vishnu – Mahesh.
The fort was constructed in 1612 to guard against the Dutch and the Marathas. It was a reference
point for the vessels coming from Europe at that time. This old Portuguese fort stands on the beach
south of Candolim, at the shore of the Mandovi River. It was initially tasked with defence of shipping
and the nearby Bardez sub district.
A freshwater spring within the fort provided water supply to the ships that used to stop by. This
is how the fort got its name: Aguada, meaning Water. Crews of passing ships would often visit to
replenish their fresh water stores. On the fort stand a four-storey Portuguese lighthouse, erected
in 1864 and the oldest of its kind in Asia. Built in 1612, it was once the grandstand of 79 cannons. It
has the capacity of storing 2,376,000 gallons of water, one of the biggest freshwater storages of the
time in whole of Asia. This fort is divided in two segments: the upper part acted as fort and watering
station, while the lower part served as a safe berth for Portuguese ships. Whereas the upper part
has a moat, underground water storage chamber, gunpowder room, light house and bastions, it also
has a secret escape passage to use during time of war and emergency. The lighthouse at initial stage
is used to emit light once in 7 minutes. In 1834 it was changed to emit light creating eclipse every 30
seconds; however it was abandoned in 1976.
Shri Mahalaxmi Temple is situated in North Goa. It is one of the most visited places in Goa and an
important pilgrimage site for Hindus.
Shri Mahalaxmi Temple is situated in the village of Bandora about 4 km from Ponda and 27 kms from
the resort. This Temple is dedicated to Lord Vishnu’s consort Mahalaxmi. The temple is considered
as the abode of the original Goddess of the Shakti cult and its unique feature is that the Devi wears
linga on her head.
Fort Aguada, Candolim Shri Mahalaxmi Temple
Fort Aguada, Candolim
Church of St. Augustine is a ruined church complex located in Old Goa and 36.7 kms from the
resort. The church was completed in 1602 and is part of the World Heritage Site, Churches and
convents of Goa.
The church was built on top of the Monte Santo (Holy Hill), between 1597 and 1602 by Augustinian
friars who landed in Goa in 1587. The church was considered as one of the three great Augustinian
churches in the Iberian world along with El Escorial and the Monastery of São Vicente de Fora.
The church was abandoned in 1835 after the Portuguese government of Goa began evicting many
religious orders in Goa under its new repressive policies. The subsequent neglect caused the vault
of the church to collapse in 1842. The body collapsed soon after and by 1871, the bell was moved
from the tower to Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception Church in Panjim, where it remains to
date. In 1931, the facade of the church and half the tower collapsed and by 1938, most of the other
parts had also collapsed. Currently only half the tower remains, and it is one of the most visited
tourist destinations in Goa. The ruins were featured in the song Gumnaam Hai Koi from the 1965
suspense thriller movie Gumnaam.
The Shanta Durga or Shanteri Temple is at Kapilpura or Kavele, also in Atrunja taluka. This deity
is believed to have been carried by Loma Sharma of Kaushik Gotra when the Saraswats came to
Goa from Trihotrapuri (present-day Trihut division) in the Mithila region of Bihar. A story in the
Skandapurana speaks of how Lord Shiva, when defeated by his spouse Parvati in a game of dice,
had left mount Kailash and gone to Gomanchala near Kushasthali for tapasya (penance). It is here
that he heard the cries of the Saraswat Brahmin, Loma Sharma, caught by a crocodile in the river
Aghanashini. When Shiva saved Loma Sharma, he prayed to the Lord to remain in Kushasthali.
Similarly, when Parvati arrived looking for Shiva, she was also requested to stay at the nearby village
of Keloshi (Kadalivana).